Sunday, March 11, 2007

dry spells

I have just returned from accompanying the health promoter (now down to one) who will be partaking in the 2nd training. News from the area near where she is training (Cacarica) is that there is a dry spell currently with which brings much diarrhea and lack of water. Already many children have died of dehydration as the rehydration liquids are not accessible to them. It´s such a reminder how lucky we are to have water in La Union.

Well, the little microscopic friends that are so common here have once again made their presence known. My two teammates have both had some pretty rough encounters with the little fellas, I have luckily been spared but it seems to be a bit of a trend currently. Other folks are getting the same icky sickness, not much to be done besides rehydration fluids (which are more easily accessible for us) and resting up.

A slew of folks from Portugal have just arrived to the Peace Community, amidst them, a nurse, a doctor and engineers. They will be setting up a water purifying station, put up solar panels to provide their own electricity for La Holandita and build a small health clinic. All this along with the preparations for the 10th anniversary this 23rd of March…its all really quite exciting.

4 comments:

Omar Cruz said...

this report is fantastic, the infomation you show us is really interesting and is good written. Do you want to see something more? Look: this is a good page, you can visit too:Head Shop, Herbal Grinders
Bongs, Glass Pipe. Visit us for more info at: http://www.headshopinternational.com/

Unknown said...

Hi Mireille,

Just as you are nearing your return, I discover your blog. I hope all is well and were able to stay in good health through out the dry spell. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Love, Mel

Tiago said...

Dear Mireille,

dear janice,
my name is tiago carvalho and I am a brazilian journalist. I've been to San Josesito to know the Peace Community in mid april and now I am writing a story on it for a brazilian newspapaer wich is called O GLOBO (www.oglobo.com.br).

One of the highlights of the story is the presence of international organizations in the community and their importance for the defense of the human right in the area and the suppport of these peasants resistence.

I found the link to your blog at the "for colombia" site and really wanted to talk to you about your work at san josé de apartadó.

can you please write me, so we can get in touch? my mail is cga_tiago@yahoo.com.br.

best wishes

Tiago said...

sorry for the mistake. it happened because I wrote to the other girls in the For colombian team. Hope you get in touch. My Rio de Janeiro's phone number is +55 21 2205 9313.